Frequently Asked Questions

Why has my loved one developed an eating disorder?

The exact cause of an eating disorder is unknown, however; a combination of biological, psychological, social and behavioural factors, unique to the individual, are likely to have contributed to the development of the illness.

When can we visit?

Visits from friends and family are incredibly important, however; treatment and recovery remains our priority, therefore we would ask that you avoid visiting during working hours when therapy will be taking place. Visitors will not be permitted to enter the main house during protected mealtimes. You will of course be welcome to wait in one of our family rooms.

Can we stay overnight?

Visits from friends and family are incredibly important, however; treatment and recovery remains our priority, therefore we do not allow overnight visits. Please call our Family Liaison Officer who will be happy to provide you with a list of local places to stay if you have to visit from out of area.

Can they have a mobile phone so we can keep in touch?

We understand the importance of maintaining contact with your family, especially as receiving treatment in hospital can feel isolating at times. Our MDT will assess phone access on an individual basis, but in most cases the use of mobile phones will be permitted.

How long will the treatment process take?

Recovery is not an exact science and will vary from person to person. Multiple factors influence length of stay, for example, the motivation to engage in therapy, the severity of the illness on admission and the ability to effectively maintain recovery on discharge.

Is recovery guaranteed?

Our model of care focuses on therapeutic optimism, recovery and relapse prevention. A small percentage of people will require further periods of hospitalisation, however; careful discharge planning, a follow up appointment and quality aftercare will reduce the risk of relapse. Effective communication and co-ordination with your local community eating disorder service (CEDs) will be very important.

Who pays for treatment?

If a British citizen is suffering from a severe or life-threatening eating disorder, their treatment should be paid for by the NHS. The first steps towards treatment is to get a formal diagnosis from a GP; or other healthcare profession, who can make a referral to your local CEDs. They will assess the severity of the illness and make a referral to either a day clinic or a residential service like The Chimneys.

What should we do if we have concerns post-discharge?

If you have any concerns post-discharge, please contact our Family Liaison Officer who will meet with our multidisciplinary team to agree an action plan.